Objective: Encourage to tell the truth
Ice Breaker: Blindfold – find the apple
Blindfold a child, and you need to direct them to where it is, but you must say the opposite directions to what is the truth. It will show how difficult it is to do what it right when the wrong thing is being said.
- Author: Paul
- Type: Letter from Paul
- Written: AD 65
- No. of Chapters: 3
- N.T. Book No.: 17
How do you know what to do when you don’t know whether the person who is talking to you is telling the truth or not?
Do you know about Greek Mythology?
Do you know where Crete is? Show where it is on a map.
Crete is the largest island in Greece and has been the backdrop for a number of stories of ancient Greek mythology.
- Zeus, the king of gods and men, was born in a cave in Greece and was raised by a goat.
- When Crete was attacked by a giant lizard, Zeus defended the island and threw a lightning bolt against it, turning the beast to stone and into an island that is now called Dia.
- In Crete the palace of King Minos (the son of Zeus) was located, under which Daedalus had built the labyrinth, in order to house the Minotaur, a monster formed from the union of Minos’ wife, Pasiphae, and a bull. Daedalus and his son Icarus were kept captive here, but managed to escape by creating wings made of feathers and wax; however, Icarus flew too close to the sun, the wax melted and he fell to his doom. It was here that Theseus was brought in order to kill the Minotaur.
- After his death King Minos became one of the three judges of the dead in the underworld.
And everybody believed these lies and worshipped Zeus and the other false gods.
Telling lies causes major problems and in many cases leads people away from God.
What is the 8th commandment? You shall not lie. Exodus 20v16.
A paradox is a statement that appears to be self-contradictory or silly, but which may include a hidden truth.
- Nobody goes to the Arndale anymore — it’s too crowded.”
- I am nobody.
- He is a wise fool
- Shakespeare: Hamlet said: “I must be cruel to be kind.”
- Wordsworth: In his short lyric “My Heart Leaps Up When I Behold,” “The child is father of the man…”
- George Orwell: Animal Farm: “All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.”
The Epimenides paradox written in 600 BC was “All Cretans are liars.”, and Epimenides was a Cretan.
What did Paul say about this in Titus 1v10 ?
How can you tell what is the truth when you are being told so many lies?
Read Titus 1 v 9
Put people in charge who are known to truthful and hold firmly to the bible. Rebuke liars, so they will be sound in their faith.
In the armour of God, what it the Belt of truth? Gal 6v14. Note: It holds the sword and keeps the trousers up.
If you lie, you will find it difficult to use the bible and you will be unprotected from Satan.
Belt of truth.